One month in, Austin bike share usage doubles projections
Jan 27, 2014
Austin Business Journal
- Austinites are using the city's new bike share system at nearly twice the rate originally projected, according to Bike Share of Austin LLC, the nonprofit group that operates and maintains the system
- The system, which launched Dec. 21 with 11 stations, has seen an average of 129 daily trips and about 3,880 trips in the first month, said Elliott McFadden, executive director of Bike Share of Austin
- At this point, 325 annual members, 70 founding members and 1,950 members have signed up for daily or seven day passes, McFadden said
- "We were projecting about half of our operations would come from usage fees and half from sponsorships," McFadden said,"I think usage could be more like two-thirds if these numbers hold."
- Bike Share of Austin is planning on opening 15 stations in the next week and another 14 to 15 by the end of February. The group expects to have 40 stations up and running by the time the South by Southwest crowds arrive in Austin