AQUILA’s youngest Principal, Jon Wheless, started at AQUILA as one of the very first interns back in 2008. He was hired on as a junior broker and moved up the ranks to associate, then VP, before finally becoming a partner in 2017. He’s a huge fan of the Texas Longhorns, the Dallas Cowboys (he named his dog Romo), and his AQUILA family.
Jon specializes in tenant representation and is the leader of AQUILA’s corporate services department. He works with a broad range of clients, from up-and-coming gaming and technology firms to established local institutions.
This month I sat down with him to ask some fun and thought-provoking questions so you can get to know him a little better!
Let’s Start With the Basics:
Q: Where did you grow up?
A: Dallas, Texas
Q: Where did you go to college?
A: University of Texas, McCombs School of Business
Q: How long have you been in Austin?
A: Since 2005. I came here for college and never left.
Q: What is your favorite part about working for AQUILA?
A: Aside from the work itself, the culture and family atmosphere is unparalleled. The culture that the partners have created at AQUILA is one of hard work, collaboration and fun; this culture has enabled me to grow both professionally and personally.
Q: What would you say is your key differentiator? Why would I want to work with you?
A: When you hire AQUILA, you’re not just hiring me; you’re hiring our entire team and our whole knowledge base. We’re local and we know the Austin market. We put in the hard work, we’re responsive, and one of the most important things is, we’re gonna be honest with you.
Q: What size of clients do you typically work with?
A: There is no client too small. The real estate is just as important to the 20-person start-up as it is to the 400-person established company. I value the relationships that I’ve created with my clients over the years. I’ve seen some of my clients grow from small start-ups to industry leaders, such as Main Street Hub.
Q: How do you add value for your clients?
A: As a brokerage firm, we are a service provider, but we think of ourselves as partners. So we’re always trying to think of ways to add value to our client even if it’s outside the realm of real estate.
We don’t want to just work with you once, we want to work with you the rest of your career.
Now For a Little Fun:
Q: If you won $50 million in the lottery, what would you do with it?
A: I would hire Hank Haney, Tiger Woods’ former coach, as my personal full-time golf coach. It would take this amount of resources and time to get me to a scratch golfer.
Q: What’s your go-to karaoke song?
A: Maggie Mae by Rod Stewart
Q: If you could live anywhere in the world and money didn’t matter, where would you live?
A: I haven’t been to enough places to say with enough certainty, so I would travel until I found the place. Likely near a body of water and perhaps a beach bar nearby.
Q: What’s something most people may not know about you?
A: I aspire to be an expert harmonica player.
Q: What is your favorite restaurant in Austin?
Q: What’s your favorite show to binge watch?
A: The Office. I don’t necessarily like to binge watch shows but I feel like I have to or it will get ruined by my coworkers!
Q: What is something on your bucket list?
A: I’ve always wanted to go to Machu Picchu in Peru and we actually just booked our trip to go in May.
- Dogs or cats? Dogs definitely
- Early bird or night owl? Night owl
- Beach or mountain? Beach
- Call or text? Text
- Passenger or driver? Driver, always
- Grilled or fried? Fried
- Frozen or on the rocks? Depends, but mostly on the rocks
- Flip flops or cowboy boots? Cowboy boots
- Torchy’s or Tacodeli? Tacodeli
- Would you walk, run or bike the Hike and Bike Trail? Some call it running, some call it walking
- South Congress or Domain? South Congress
- ACL or SXSW? ACL, SXSW is too much for me
- Tito’s or Deep Eddy? Tito’s
- Willie Nelson or Bob Schneider? Willie Nelson, the greatest
- P.Terry’s or Whataburger? P.Terry’s
- 6th Street or Rainey? Rainey Street, too old for 6th
- Franklin Barbecue or Lambert’s? Franklin
- Amy’s Ice Cream or Sno Beach? Amy’s
- Maudie’s or Matt’s El Rancho? Matt’s, no question
- Mopac or I-35? Oh my goodness! Neither, but Mopac I guess
For more on Jon, check out his bio page on our website. Don’t forget to check back each month to see who we feature next!
- Five Things to Know About Jon Wheless, AQUILA’s Newest Partner
- Looking Back on Ten Years: A Round Table with AQUILA’s Principals
- 5 Reasons AQUILA is a Best Place to Work in Austin