Jay is one of AQUILA’s vivacious founding partners and an institution in the Austin commercial real estate industry. He is known for his creative problem solving, lively personality and keen ability to orchestrate intricate transactions.
Jay leverages his background in investment banking and venture capital to better serve his clients in the commercial real estate arena, specifically on lease acquisitions and dispositions and asset purchase and sale transactions. He has been honored numerous times by the Austin Business Journal and others for his outstanding work on some of Austin’s most highly visible transactions.
Jay has a deeply entrepreneurial spirit and in January 2007 broke out of the institutional world with several partners to found AQUILA Commercial. He envisioned a commercial real estate firm where creativity was promoted, hard work rewarded and silos didn’t exist.
Prior to founding AQUILA, Jay played an integral role in growing The Staubach Company’s Austin office. Jay started his career working for CIBC Oppenheimer’s investment banking group in New York City. After that Jay worked at Bariston Partners, a merchant bank/venture capital group in Boston before returning to his home town of Austin, Texas.
On Saturdays you can find Jay cheering on the Rice Owls. On Sunday you can see him exercise his vocal cords in St. John Neumman’s Catholic Church Choir.
- Austin Business Journal, Heavy Hitter – Multiple Years
- Austin Business Journal Transaction of the Year – Multiple Years
- First Team GTE and CFA Academic All-American Football Player – 1995
- Bob Quin Outstanding Scholar Athlete Award (highest award given to a student athlete at Rice University) – 1996
- Southwest Conference Jacoby Sportsmanship Award (recognizes the student who best displays the attributes of sportsmanship, leadership, citizenship and academic integrity)
- St. Gabriel’s Catholic School, Board of Directors
- Any Baby Can, Board of Directors
- Texas Alliance for Life, Leadership Circle
- Rice Alliance, Board of Directors
- Rice University, Regional Athletic Board
- Rice University, The Initiative for Students Board
Bachelor of Arts, Managerial Studies and Economics, Rice University, Cum Laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Goodwill Industries of Central Texas