This article was originally published in August 2017 and was last updated in June 2023.
Considered one of the most desirable places to live in the Austin area, West Lake Hills (often referred to as Westlake) is a neighborhood just six miles west of downtown. With an award-winning school district and athletic program, it’s no wonder this area prides itself on excellence, both academically and athletically. The tight-knit community is actually a city unto itself, where homes sit upon hills, and views of downtown can be seen from many viewpoints.
- What are the best restaurants in Westlake?
- What are the best things to do in Westlake?
- What major companies are in Westlake?
- Westlake Spotlight Infographic
Q: What are the best restaurants in Westlake?
A: There are many great places to eat in Westlake! I’ll try my best to break it down here, but I have many favorites!
- Texas Honey Ham is a true Westlake gem. I went to Westlake High School just down the street from here, so my friends and I ate there often in high school (and I still go there often!) I usually go for their breakfast tacos or club sandwiches, but everything, from their menu items to their staff and management, is top-notch! Plus, they serve breakfast all day, which is the icing on the cake.
- Of course, you can’t go wrong with local favorites Thundercloud Subs, Modern Market, Cava (all located in West Woods shopping center near Bee Caves Road and Walsh Tarlton Lane), Juiceland, Tacodeli, (located in the Village of Westlake shopping center near Bee Cave Road and Loop 360), and Hat Creek Burger Company (located near Bee Caves Road and Loop 360).
- Saffron Indian has a great lunch buffet (located in the West Woods shopping center near Bee Caves Road and Walsh Tarlton Lane.)
- Flower Child has fresh, healthy options with a great atmosphere and an awesome patio (located in Westbank Market near Bee Caves Road and Walsh Tarlton Lane.)
- Marye’s Gourmet Pizza has great pizza and salads (located in West Lake Court off Bee Caves Road.)
- I’m loyal to Maudie’s, and Maudie’s Milagro (located in Davenport Ranch near Loop 360 and Westlake Drive) is one of my favorites of their six locations in Austin. They have a great atmosphere, one of my favorite frozen margaritas in town, and consistently delicious Mexican food.
- We all know barbecue is big in Austin. I used to work as a hostess at County Line BBQ in high school, and I really like their food. I like their barbecue sauce, coleslaw, potato salad, and brisket. They have two locations in Austin – one on Bee Caves Road with great Hill Country views, and one on the lake off FM 2222 near Loop 360 with great lake views.
- Las Palomas is a great spot serving interior Mexican cuisine. Their sopapillas are the best I’ve ever had…served warm and fresh with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! (Located in West Woods shopping center near Bee Caves Road and Walsh Tarlton Lane.)
- Chinatown is a great Chinese spot. My go-to’s include the Westlake sesame chicken, Mongolian beef, chicken fried rice, spicy edamame, and sushi. (Located off Bee Caves Road close to Mopac).
- The Grove Wine Bar & Kitchen is a cute spot for a date night or dinner with friends (located off Bee Caves Road near Loop 360).
- Jack Allen’s Kitchen is serving up great southern soul food – they have a great chicken fried steak with a spicy green chili gravy (Located off Loop 360 near Westlake Drive and the Pennybacker Bridge)
Q: What are the best things to do in Westlake?
A: Westlake has plenty of ways for you to get outside and enjoy all that Austin has to offer.
- Hit the lake! Drop an anchor in one of the many “party coves”, dock at a lakefront restaurant like Ski Shores or Hula Hut, or ski, wakeboard, tube or surf behind the boat. If you don’t have or know of anyone with a boat, there are a few boat rental companies on Lake Austin.
- Hike the Greenbelt. There are a few creeks sprinkled throughout the Greenbelt, so you can cool off in the cold water on those hot Texas days.
- Attend a Westlake High School sporting event – the football team often makes it to state and games sell out. Drew Brees, Nick Foles, Justin Tucker, and Sam Ehlinger (among others) all played football for Westlake.
- Hike up to the overlook at Pennybacker Bridge for a great view of the lake and the Downtown Austin skyline.
- Hit the golf course. Westlake is home to Barton Creek Country Club, Austin Country Club, and Lost Creek Country Club, all with great courses.
Q: What major companies are in Westlake?
A: Apple has an office at Capital Ridge off Loop 360. Dimensional Fund Advisors offices at Dimensional Place, which is just down the street at Loop 360 and Bee Cave Road. Everi Holdings also has space at Wild Basin Atrium, which is right down the street from Dimensional Place.
- The Domain in Austin, Texas: A Hot Spot for Retail, Restaurants and Entertainment [Infographic]
- Your Guide to Lake Travis: What to Do, Where to Eat and Why You May Want to Office Here [INFOGRAPHIC]
- An Insider’s Guide to The Arboretum in Austin, TX: Major Offices and Tenants, Restaurants and Amenities, and Demographics [INFOGRAPHIC]